Autor Thema: 1UP: The Future of Single-Player RPGs  (Gelesen 1888 mal)

Offline Lexx

• Administrator
  • Auserwähltes Wesen
1UP: The Future of Single-Player RPGs
« am: 11. November 2009, 11:47:07 Uhr »
Die englische Webseite 1UP hat vor kurzem einen Artikel bzw. eine Gesprächsrunde mit Alan Miranda (Ossian Studios), Bill Roper (Cryptic Studios), Feargus Urquhart (Obsidian Entertainment) und Marcin Iwiński (CD Projekt) über die Zukunft von Single-Player Rollenspielen veröffentlicht. Der Text enthält einige interessante Passagen und auch Fallout findet dabei immer mal wieder Erwähnung.

Zitat
We examine the state of the big-budget single-player RPG with a group of RPG developers. Each comes from a different facet of the market. Is it dying? Are the tastes of RPG gamers changing? What role do MMOs, consoles, and handhelds play? Is there hope in the indie scene? And how do the differences in American, European, and Japanese RPGs affect the overall market.
[...]

How have the market and player expectations for single-player RPGs changed since the heyday of the late 1990s/early 2000s?
Feargus Urquhart: The largest change really has to do with graphical expectations. In the past many RPG players would say that they were fine if an RPG did not look as graphically advanced as other games that came out that year. Recently, possibly due to more of the RPGs being on consoles now, there is more of an expectation that RPGs look as good as any other game that comes that year.

As for more specific RPG aspects, I was going to say that players have more of an expectation of having choice and an open world, but RPGs have been doing that since Ultima, Fallout, and Baldur's Gate.

Do gamers still want the big-budget RPGs like Dragon Age and Final Fantasy? Have piracy and the expense of the HD consoles made big-budget RPGs not as feasible as they once were?
Marcin Iwiński: I still remember BioWare releasing mods for Neverwinter Nights through their store -- it was a novelty those days. Today, if you look at Fallout 3 and [Bethesda's] DLC strategy -- it is really smart, and gamers do appreciate it. If you have enjoyed the game and want to extend the experience, why not spend an additional 9 to 15 bucks for a couple of quests, to find out more about the world of the game, background heroes, etc. I am repeating myself, but it's again all about the story and your experience in it.

How different are the markets for RPGs in the U.S., Europe, and Japan now?
Marcin Iwiński: Having released a PC-only RPG, it's hard for me to talk about the Japanese market, but we indeed observe significant differences between the U.S. and Europe.

Europe, or should I say Germany -- being the major European RPG market for PC -- is still home to fans of the hardcore role-playing experience. Looking at the games originating from Germany, you can clearly see that gamers are much more forgiving than in the U.K. or U.S. The interface does not have to be perfect, and the learning curve can be steep. As long as the core RPG elements are good, the game will sell.

This is definitely not the case in the U.S., where gamers are less hardcore and more demanding in terms of the interface, learning curve, and mechanics. The proof is really in the sales -- there are a number of great German RPGs performing very well in Germany and Eastern Europe but failing in the U.S.

Den kompletten Text über 7 Seiten könnt ihr auf der 1UP Webseite finden.

Links:
1UP The Future of Single-Player RPGs
via Ausirs Blog
« Letzte Änderung: 11. November 2009, 11:50:27 Uhr von Lexx »
only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die

Offline Ralexand

• Far Go Traders
  • Highwaymanfahrer
Re: 1UP: The Future of Single-Player RPGs
« Antwort #1 am: 11. November 2009, 15:49:45 Uhr »
Es gibt ne wirklich winzige aber feine US Gothic Fanbase.  ;D Die habens geschnallt...
Eine der 10 Gebote besagt, du sollst nicht Doppelposten in des FalloutNow's Forum.

Ich bin schon froh, wenn meine Pflanzen nicht sterben.

Offline randy

• Far Go Traders
  • Atomsprengkopf
  • SUP BITCHES?
Re: 1UP: The Future of Single-Player RPGs
« Antwort #2 am: 11. November 2009, 16:59:33 Uhr »
haha ja Gothic läuft dort ja überhaupt nicht. Obwohl die "1" eines der besten RPGs der letzten Jahre ist.
"You just got your asses whipped, by a bunch of goddamn nerds!" ABOUT ME

Zitat von: /b/ - randy
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.